1. BAAQMD will award the contract for South Bay Odor Study at its July 31st board meeting. The study is projected to cost $300-500k. Reps from odor generating facilities were present and supportive of the study.
2. City of Milpitas has hired a consultant to implement odor monitors.
3. BAAQMD logged 162 odor complaints in the last 3 months. Newby Island was the sole confirmed odor source. BAAQMD has issued 16 violations to Newby Island in 2019 YTD.
4. LEA received many complaints on its website. Inspector detected Newby Island MRF and landfill odor. CalRecycle-LEA issued a violation to Newby Island for not covering the working landfill at night.
5. Newby Island MRF redesign is in progress with construction to be completed by 2021.
Official meeting minutes can be found on